As our Design Director, you'll report to our Managing Partner of the Product Design Group and be responsible for developing original creative design concepts and approaches on our most high profile projects. In addition to overseeing and developing talent in the visual design group, you will oversee multiple projects from conception to execution, collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team of creative strategists, ux designers, and developers throughout.
This key position involves working with account leads and project management and managing designers and art directors to ensure that project deliverables satisfy the client, go out on time and on budget, and support project goals. The role is a mix of doing and leading, while also partnering with our clients to be their trusted creative partner. There are times where you will roll your sleeves up to be the lead designer on a project and times where you will set a vision and facilitate the execution across your team.
- Conceive and create experience-oriented design solutions that fulfill strategic business objectives
- Consistently deliver strong design strategy and multiple design concepts that exceed each client's project objectives
- Take a leadership role in collaborations between the creative strategy, UX, visual design, development team, and client to create effective design strategies
- Act as a creative lead by directing, inspiring, overseeing, and mentoring a team of art directors and designers
- Establish the visual direction for our projects, working with your team to execute on vision
- Develop compelling, creative, and user-focused experiences and points of view that align with clients’ business objectives
- Collaborate with the cross discipline team to create and execute experience style guides, interaction patterns, and information design standards
- Articulate and defending conceptual and visual design choices
- Responsible for inspiring and motivating creative teams and serve as overall design lead while also managing design teams on and across major engagements
- Promote continual creative improvement and actively contribute to a culture of innovation, excellence and accountability
- Responsible for mentoring and leading junior creative staff through critique of their work to maintain consistent creative quality
- Recognize and mentor strong design talent and potential within the visual design team
- Help recruit future design talent and act as a leader in setting and nurturing the company’s culture
- Participate in many new business development efforts
- Build and maintain a close relationship with management-level counterparts
- 8+ years experience in a creative leadership role (at least 6+ years digital agency environment)
- Deep experience defining and driving the design process, with superior typographical, motion and interaction design skills
- A strong history of multi-platform design, including responsive web sites, app design, and interface design
- Strong ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements based upon short and long-term needs
- Comprehensive awareness and interest in new platforms and technologies for the digital channels and related mediums
- Strong ability to provide clear creative direction and provide timely and helpful feedback to improve creative processes to keep work on budget and schedule
- Ability to establish an independent view, effectively collaborate in decision-making, and motivate others
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities at all levels of both internal and client organizations
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with management and external resources.
- Strong knowledge of cross team collaboration
- Ability to exercise high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated leadership in fostering continuous learning, empowerment, involvement, and opportunities
- Expert-level knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and familiarity After Effects (or another animation platform in order to quickly animate designs)
CODE AND THEORY BENEFITSIn addition to working with the smart and passionate people that make up the Code and Theory family, you also get the perks. There's the usual - 401k, excellent health and dental coverage, life insurance and long-term disability. Then there are the extras, some random, mostly awesome – bagel Mondays, summer Fridays, stocked candy jars and exceptional coffee on constant brew, field trips, game nights and team outings. There is also our agency ping- pong and softball teams, which may or may not have won their respective league championships sometime in the past 3 years.