The Creative Directors will have extensive agency experience and is responsible for driving the overall creative vision for all client projects. They have the strategic and tactical skills needed to successfully lead projects from inception to completion, as well as ensure no talent goes to waste and the work stays sharp.
Our Creative Directors develop original design concepts, oversee multiple projects through execution, and directly manage a team of creatives reporting into them. Team leadership and motivation skills are absolutely essential for the role, and CDs must possess impeccable client-facing skills and be able to represent the agency’s creative and ideation process at all stages of the engagement, as they are responsible for managing the client relationship for all things related to creative.
Successful candidates identify opportunities to do improve even the most impressive concepts and elevate standards to all levels and across all disciplines company-wide. These are the people mentoring the agency’s next generation of brilliant art directors and visual designers.
- Ensure design excellence
- Help build an innovative, world-class design team and support the Partners in establishing overall design vision, philosophy
- Champion creative industry-leading consistency, quality, and integrity in product design to ensure Code and Theory is alway on the cutting-edge of design
- Define, create, and communicate long term creative visions, design concepts, and strategies to build long-term client success
- Develop compelling, creative, and user-focused experiences and points of view that align with clients’ business objectives
- Work with discipline leads to ensure the design vision is executed consistently and with a high degree of quality and ensure creative team adheres to brand guidelines and style
- Persuasively and passionately present visions, concepts, and designs to both existing and potential clients and supporting teams at all stages
- Participate in discussions and initiatives across the company to establish and develop working processes and efficiencies in executing design concepts for design teams (defining deliverables for each stage of design, design mentorship, application proficiency, file management, etc.) and ensure that those processes are maintained
- Build, foster, and develop client relationships and identify new business opportunities in order to grow the company
- Act as a creative lead by directing, inspiring, overseeing, and mentoring a team of art directors and designers
- Build, manage and mentor productive design teams by setting team and individual goals, creating opportunities for growth, advocating for design resources, and providing ongoing performance management to Design staff.
- Collaborate on hiring decisions, disciplinary actions, performance management, and recognition and rewards.
- Help recruit future design talent and act as a leader in setting and nurturing the company’s culture
- Support the coordination of projects and facilitate communications with the various project and production teams
- Write documents such as user experience strategies and creative briefs
- Build and maintain a close relationship with management-level counterparts
- 12+ years working in digital agencies with proven experience in a creative leadership role
- Fast, efficient, and able to manage creative budgets and resources
- Must possess the ability to successfully cross-collaborate with user experience, strategy, technology, and project and account management
- Established background in concept development and design execution across various types of digital platforms
- Expert knowledge of interaction design, user-centered experience design, and the creative process, as well as new platforms and technologies for the digital mediums
- Expertise in providing clear creative direction and timely and helpful feedback to improve creative processes to keep work on budget and schedule
- Strong ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term need
- Expertise in user interface design process and methodologies
- Expertise in web development process and methodologies
- Expertise in web standards and best practices
- Advanced knowledge of current technologies and trends
- Ability to write with clarity and style and some experience managing copywriters
- Sound judgment and ability to help guide policy and strategy
- Strong understanding and application of managerial concepts and techniques in areas such as project management, idea creation, employee development, coaching, and cross-team effectiveness
- Ability to establish an independent view, effectively collaborate in decision-making, and motivate others, especially during difficult situations or on tough organizational issues
- Experience in participating in new business pitches and other business development engagements
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities at all levels of both internal and client groups
- Expert organizational skills with an impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with management and external resources
- Confident in team building to mentoring to guiding diverse creative talent
- Ability to exercise high degree of professionalism
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and familiarity After Effects (or another animation platform in order to quickly animate designs)
- May require international travel
Code and Theory Benefits
We offer 23 days of holidays. The overall package is commensurate with experience and is to industry standards.